Friday, August 15, 2008

The Great Boat Regatta





Every summer we make a city out of big refrigerator boxes but this year Tess wanted to make hers into a boat instead and have a boat regatta (race) like they did in jr high, so we gave it a shot. About 6 rolls of duct tape and a few hours later Team Tessivia (Tess and Olivia) and Team Rustoe (Rustin and Chloe) were ready to battle.  The contest had two parts, who could get from one side of the pool to the other the fastest and whose boat stayed afloat the longest.  Rustoe's boat was the first to the other side of the pool, thanks to sleek design and good rowing, but Tessivia's boat lasted almost 25 minutes longer, 65 minutes total! She might have had superior duct taping skills and was definitely good at not rocking her perishable boat.  It was fun watching them slowly soak through, bubble and then finally sink. Enjoy the pictures and look for pictures of our "Box City" in a posting soon.

4 comments:

Liz said...

Hooray! I'm so glad you've joined the blogging world. The boats are a riot! I won't show my kids those pictures...they'll want to do that and we are missing a major component-a pool!

kw87 said...

How fun. There is nothing better than a big old box!
-Dorothy

Katie said...

This looks like the most fun thing ever! Can I be one of your kids? Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaase?

Dawn said...

What a fun idea Tess! I've always loved your box city and always admired your patience to do it for an entire month!

I love that you blog now - it's great to see how fast the kids grow.