Thursday, January 5, 2012

My little birdy

After a beautiful morning run, on Nov. 3rd, where had been thinking a lot about my sister, Liza, and her love of nature and animals and how that has changed my life, I had a sweet experience with this little guy.


I was in my kitchen and heard a "thunk" against the window that faces our back yard. The dogs and I both realized that it was probably a bird and we raced to go to it, but for far different reasons! Jasper got to it first and had it in his mouth and was running away. Fortunately, he didn't bite down too hard and dropped it when I yelled at him.


I picked up the poor stunned bird and held it on my lap in the family room. For the first 10 min. or so, it just laid there stunned with its eyes closed as I stroked its feathers. Then, suddenly it perked up and still let me pet it. Although I wanted to keep it, I have a terrible track record of keeping wild birds alive more than 3 days. I took it to my front lawn to see if it would fly off, or run away. It just posed for these pictures. Then I showered and came back to check on it. It was still there. When I reached down to pick it up, it flew low to the ground and under a bush in our neighbor's yard. I think it survived, as I checked under the bush later on, and found it had gone. 

I really enjoyed my encounter with nature and God's love on that gorgeous morning. Thank you Liza.


No comments: