Russ fell off the roof 8 days ago and is doing very well. He is still very bruised (big massive dark purple bruises all over his lower back and right hip) swollen and sore but is walking, talking and remembering normally. Phew! His jaw (TMJ) is really sore and he thinks he must have clenched his teeth pretty hard when he fell, in unhappy anticipation of hitting the ground.
People have been super kind to Russ and have had fun teasing him too. He has been called a daredevil, and Humpty Dumpty and more. He has been accused of trying to fly, get out of work, doing the Christmas lights ever again, or just getting attention. He just laughs! He was not laughing when he got the bill for the helicopter ride though... $15,000!!!! Yes, from Gilbert to Scottsdale, at $2,500 a mile and a $2,500 fee on top of that and he doesn't even remember it!
Our good friend, Rick Neiner, (who also fell off a roof when he was younger) came over 2 days after and took the Christmas lights off the palm tree. Even though he has a serious fear of heights, he was determined to keep Russ on the ground. It worked.
THANKS RICK!!
On Monday, Olivia and I took treats to the firemen of Firestation 2 and 3 (3 is pictured and they were the first ones on the scene both times) to say thanks for their quick response and much needed assistance. They loved their popcorn and cookies and were glad to get the full update on Russ.
Captain Hellmann was on both calls and was a comfort to me as Russ took off in the helicopter. He is pictured here (on the right) training a new recruit. Alex Ramos, the first person through my front door to help Russ, said that when he asked Russ if he remembered him from the fire at our house on New Years Day, Russ responded. "We had a fire?" His memory was really messed up at that point!
Boy, have we been having fun with his memory loss! Our neighbor told Russ he owes him a million dollars, he just forgot because of his fall. We keep trying to think of all the fun "memories" we could have planted during those confused few hours at the hospital. I am actually 29 and he promised me a new diamond ring right before Christmas.
Rustin also had a lot of fun pestering Russ right after the accident because Russ was too sore to be able to chase him down and pound on him (lovingly) like he normally does.
Last night I heard a new joke that made me laugh so hard. I was describing the scene where I ran outside and got to Russ lying on the ground and how he didn't know what was going on. My friend said, "I bet when he looked up at you he was thinking, 'Please let that be my wife!'"
Another good laugh I got was at Liv's basketball game, when describing the clanging of the ladder that I heard, my friend asked me, "Did it sound kind of like a clatter?"
When I thought of the words to T'was the Night Before Christmas, it fit so perfectly!
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
Exactly! (except I was in the kitchen, not bed, and sashes are so 1823)
Okay. I hope you got some laughs too! Now I will blog about normal things, like Christmas!
p.s. For all you Koskis out there, the lyrics to the song "Senor Don Gato" have been running around in my head too. Remember that one?
p.s. For all you Koskis out there, the lyrics to the song "Senor Don Gato" have been running around in my head too. Remember that one?






2 comments:
Sarah & Russ, I'm so glad things turned out the way they did (minus the astronomical expenses)! My heart raced when I read about the fire and then the fall.. I was a bit behind with my blog reading. I'm grateful there is a happily ever after to this story! We love you and will keep you in our prayers!
Hee hee - your story telling is wonderful. So glad Russ is alive and well!!
Post a Comment